- Learning Solutions Magazine
- Research Insights Library
- Guild Publications
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Getting Started in eLearning
eLearning is one of the hottest, fast-growing industries in the world today. There’s a lot to learn and no better place to learn it than The eLearning Guild. The Guild offers an extraordinarily deep well of information about eLearning, from tools and technologies to management and instructional design. We offer online Summits, conferences and expositions, Learning Solutions Magazine, Guild Research, webinars, eBooks and whitepapers, networking opportunities, and much more. This page is designed to give you some solid suggestions about where to start.
Accessing Guild Resources
Some of the resources below are freely available to everyone. Others, like Summits (which are 2-day online conferences) are available for a fee or included in higher-level Guild Memberships. The Guild offers four levels of membership, ranging from the free Associate level to the Premium level (a complete eLearning education/professional development program). See a comparison of membership levels here.
See full details on each of these plans:
Focused on all aspects of eLearning, Learning Solutions is a great event for those new to eLearning and offers an entire track of sessions called Getting Started. Learning Solutions 2017, and the co-located Ecosystem, will be held March 22 – 24 at Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista in Orlando, FL.
Learning & Performance Ecosystem is designed for senior-level professionals who need to understand these technologies and how they can be combined to create a customized learning ecosystem that delivers training and support, drives learner engagement, leverages collaboration, and tracks performance across their organizations. Ecosystem 2017, and the co-located Learning Solutions, will be held March 22 – 24 at Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista in Orlando, FL.
North America’s only conference dedicated to trending hot topics that are changing the future of learning, FocusOn Learning is designed for eLearning, training, media, and performance support professionals who want to understand how mobile, video, and performance support technologies can enhance and support learning and performance. FocusOn Learning 2016 Conference & Expo will be held June 8 – 10 in Austin, TX.
DevLearn is our most advanced conference, focusing on advanced management techniques and the technical side of eLearning, but there are some sessions for those new to eLearning. DevLearn 2016 will be held November 16 – 18 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV. To get a feel for the event, please visit the DevLearn 2015 website.
Guild Research and eBooks
The Guild’s “Getting Started in eLearning” series of research reports is a great place to start your learning:
- Technologies, Tools, and Media for eLearning
- Rapid eLearning
- Building the Business Case for eLearning
- and more
Also see our eBook, The eLearning Guild’s Handbook on Synchronous eLearning. Guild eBooks are freely available to everyone.
Learning Solutions Magazine
Learning Solutions Magazine offers many articles for beginners. See here for a full list of articles, tailored for beginners. In addition, here’s a short, hand-picked list to get you started:
- Check out Patti Shank's column, Beginning Instructional Authoring, and Jane Bozarth’s column, Nuts and Bolts
- Online Education Programs for Instructional Designers
- Understanding Today’s Learner, by Jane Hart
- Online Education for Instructional Designers: Picking the Right Program
- The Design Document: Your Blueprint for eLearning Standards and Consistency, by Monique Donahue
- Evaluating eLearning 2.0: Getting Our Heads Around the Complexity, by Will Thalheimer
- Developing Successful eLearning, by Denise Link
- Beginner’s Guide to Webinars (3 parts), by Roger Courville
- Good Beginnings, by Chris Stape
- From Classroom to Computer (2 parts), by Mary Carpenter
See a discussion of Online Education Programs for Instructional Designers in Learning Solutions Magazine
75,468Join The eLearning Guild
Recent Job Postings
- Training Developer
- Senior Instructional Designer
- Educational Technology Specialist
Research Triangle area, North Carolina
- Senior Instructional Design Specialist
San Antonio, TX
- Learning & Development Consultant (Director) - Advisory
Location is Flexible