- Learning Solutions Magazine
- Research Insights Library
- Guild Publications
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Online Events Archive
Formal Learning on Smartphones: Better Strategies for Better Results
Online Forums 2013 - February 21, 2013
Chris Van Wingerden
VP Learning Solutions
Many organizations' first impulse is to view smartphones as an “always-on” tool for delivering eLearning courses. But smartphones (and their context of use) are dramatically different than laptop or desktop computers. Pushing what we’ve created heretofore to a smaller screen size is a recipe for ineffective learning. Smartphones offer an opportunity to update our design processes for formal learning, take advantage of the ways people learn, and make our learning products more effective.
Session participants will learn why many of the approaches commonly used in eLearning design are not effective when transferred to smartphones. You’ll explore research-based instructional design practices that support effective learning on smartphone devices, discover strategies for using these practices as a foundation for crafting formal training delivered on smartphones, and learn ways to re-set current expectations around formal learning on smartphones. It is critical when delivering formal, tracked learning through a smartphone, that learning content is designed to best support the learning process.
In this session, you will learn:
- Why many of the common eLearning design approaches do not transfer to smartphones
- Research-based instructional design practices that support effective smartphone learning
- Strategies for crafting formal, tracked learning experiences for smartphone devices
- Strategies to help you re-set your organization’s current expectations around formal learning on smartphones
You do not have access to the handouts. Please log in or join to download these files.
You do not have access to the recording. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
75,339Join The eLearning Guild
Recent Job Postings
- Director, Learning Management System
- Contract/Freelance Bilingual Virtual Event Producer
- LMS Administrator
- LMS Administrator
- Learning Platform System Support Specialist