- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Understanding the Value of Games and Gamification for Serious Learning
DevLearn 2012 Conference & Expo - October 31, 2012
Professor of Instructional Technology and Director of the Institute for Interactive Technologies
Games and gamification have been garnering a great deal of attention lately. But are games and gamification effective for learning? What attributes of games make them effective for learning; and what does the research say about creating effective games? Does the appearance of an avatar impact the person when they've finished working with the avatar? Do serious games have to be entertaining to be educational? These questions are impacting organizations as they make key decisions about implementing games and gamification to address learning needs.
This session, grounded in academic research and based on a new and notable book on the subject, will provide a solid foundation upon which organizations can maximize the implementation of game-based learning and gamification. Session participants will get tips and techniques for matching research findings to game and gamification design. The session will move from concepts and theories to research-based practice with a practical case study outlining how to apply the research tips, techniques, and practices in a real-life learning situation.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to incorporate game-based thinking into the design of learning events
- The game elements that make them engaging
- The research link between game elements and learning
- How to enhance the design of instruction with game elements and mechanics
- How organizations have leveraged games to achieve dramatic learning and productivity results
Advanced designers, VPs, and CLOs. Participants need a basic knowledge of instructional design, learning theory, and motivational theory. Experience working with game-like instructional products is also a plus.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer for Learning Platforms and Universal
Hamilton, NY, USA
- Distance Education Program Manager
Albany, New York, USA
- Learning Designers/Developers/Project Managers
- Sr. e-Learning Developer
- Technical Training and Development Specialist
Bedford, MA, USA