- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Using Storytelling and Gamification for Better Problem-based Learning
DevLearn 2012 Conference & Expo - October 31, 2012
Sr. Mgr. Instructional Design Strategy & Innovation, SVP
Wells Fargo Bank
Instructional design is at a crossroads. Organizations need ways to compete effectively in the new marketplace, and this requires a safe way to learn new skills and behaviors through experience. Fortunately, there has been a resurgence of a learning technique called problem-based learning. By combining this learning model with gaming techniques, instructional designers can create environments for learning and practicing.
Session participants will learn what problem-based learning is. You will discover how storytelling before, during, and after contributes to the formal learning process, and how the roles of instructors and facilitators are taking on the attributes of role-playing game masters, enhancing motivation of learners by applying gamification to learning solutions. You’ll also discover low- or no-cost platforms for creating problem-based scenarios to engage your learners and move from lecture events to learning journeys. You’ll leave the session with ideas to explore in your own organization, and an initial set of resource links to get you started.
In this session, you will learn:
- What storytelling is and why is it important to learning
- What game mastering is and how it relates to instruction and facilitation
- How storytelling, game mastering, and gamification are interconnected learning components
- The keys to being a problem-based learning master
- How to apply problem-based learning mastering through experiential learning to effect change in the learner
Audience: Novice-to-advanced instructional designers, learning directors, managers, and CLOs. A background in instructional design or instructional development is recommended as a firm foundation for this session.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer for Learning Platforms and Universal
Hamilton, NY, USA
- Distance Education Program Manager
Albany, New York, USA
- Learning Designers/Developers/Project Managers
- Sr. e-Learning Developer
- Technical Training and Development Specialist
Bedford, MA, USA