- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Immersive New Employee Orientation Builds Pride, Shortens Ramp-up
mLearnCon 2013 - June 20, 2013
VP for Talent and Diversity
The E.W. Scripps Company
New-hire orientation, or onboarding, is much more than an employee’s path from “green,” or new, to productive. Seen from an employee’s viewpoint, the experiences of that first day, week, or month on the job will either validate their choice to work for a company or plant a seed of terrible doubt. As a far-flung media company, Scripps was particularly challenged to create a New Employee Onboarding (NEO) experience that could speak to employees in all roles, at all properties, and in all businesses (newspapers, broadcast television, digital, and corporate). MLearning technology proved to be part of the answer.
Participants in this case-study session, will learn how, as part of onboarding, employees download the “@Scripps” mobile app that reminds them of onboarding events and engages them in Scripps history and trivia. This session will help you to brainstorm about your organization’s approach to new orientation and what onboarding tasks and topics might be supplemented by mLearning within your culture.
In this session, you will learn:
- How mLearning can complement a new-employee onboarding program
- How to begin thinking about a standard process to welcome new employees to the company and share common information
- How new employee onboarding programs shorten time to productivity
- How to stage onboarding activities in phases to complement and coincide with regular job duties
Intermediate managers, directors, and VP learning professionals with an understanding of instructional design and adult learning theory, social-media basics , training evaluation , and business impact.
Technology discussed in this session:
The “@Scripps” mobile app.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer and Teaching Consultant
Boston, MA 02129
- Instructional Design Specialist
- Learning & Performance Specialist/Instructional Designer
- Instructional Designer
Mendota Heights, MN
- Multimedia Learning Manager
St. Louis, MO