- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
B.Y.O.L.: How to Use ActionScript 3 Without Being a Programmer
DevLearn 2013 Conference & Expo - October 24, 2013
Sr. Instructional Designer
Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
ActionScript 3 is a scripting language used in Adobe Flash to make it “do stuff.” Without going through the hassle of creating a widget for Adobe Captivate or a simple animation, you can create complex and meaningful interactions in any courseware that can import a Flash (SWF) file (including Articulate Storyline and Captivate).
I hear you say, “I’m not a programmer!” Don’t worry. In this session, you will learn basic principles that will help you create workable routines that do what you want. We’ll guide you to various resources and help you correlate them with the principles presented. Then, using these resources and Flash 5 or greater, you’ll create a small interaction that you couldn’t have created (or that would have been difficult to create) using standard eLearning development tools. By the end of the session, you should be able to use the principles and resources we’ve discussed to build meaningful interactions on your own.
In this session, you will learn:
- Basic principles of object-oriented programming (OOP) to help you understand what ActionScript 3 is doing
- Enough ActionScript to get you started with your own project
- How to use the Adobe Flash CS IDE to create interactions
- Use ActionScript 3 to communicate with a Captivate course (and possibly a Storyline course)
Novice and intermediate designers and developers with a basic familiarity with Flash CS5 or higher interface and blog forums.
Technology discussed in this session:
ActionScript 3, Adobe Flash CS 5 or higher.
Student technology needs:
Laptop with Windows or Apple OS Flash CS 4 (version 10) or higher (Adobe has free demonstration versions).
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Desginer - II
Los Angeles, California
- Sr. Learning Technology Liaison - Travelers Insurance
- TECHNOLOGY ENABLED LEARNING PROJECT SPECIALIST
- Learning Technology Support
- Instructional Designer/Learning Program Manager