- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Sketchnoting—Capturing Ideas and Concepts with Visual Narratives
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2014 - March 20, 2014
Chief NuggetHead and Owner
Have you ever had an important meeting with your boss and diligently took notes as if you’re transcribing the entire conversation? Chances are that you took good notes, but most people rarely go back to the notes they take. Why do we take notes if we don’t intend to do anything with them? Our intentions and our motivation are there, but most often we end up looking hazily at our own handwriting trying to decipher a note or why we even wrote it.
Sketchnoting is about telling a story with your notes, not drawing skill. Sketchnoting is largely about learning how to visually transcribe what you hear into a logical set of text, symbols, shapes, and even colors in an organized manner. The simple act of taking notes in this style enhances your own retention while creating them and causes you to concentrate with more focused attention, and your notes are ultimately easier to understand when you recall them at a later date.
In this session, you will learn:
- The building blocks of visual communication
- What sketchnotes are and their various styles
- How to organize you notes in logical flow of rows, grids, or columns
- The five categories that make up a well-rounded sketchnote
- How to tell a story with your notes
- Subtle tips and techniques to add emotion and meaning to gestures and expressions
Novice-to-advanced instructional designers, managers, and directors.
Technology discussed in this session:
Digital sketching applications.
Student technology needs:
Participants will need a pen or pencil, and paper or a sketchbook. Attendees may use an iPad or digital tablet; however, this session is designed to be completely analog.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer for Learning Platforms and Universal
Hamilton, NY, USA
- Distance Education Program Manager
Albany, New York, USA
- Learning Designers/Developers/Project Managers
- Sr. e-Learning Developer
- Technical Training and Development Specialist
Bedford, MA, USA