- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Once Upon a Time ... Building Stories in Games
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2015 - March 26, 2015
Have you ever created a game or simulation that has great interaction but just fell flat with the learners? It may not be the visuals or interactions; it may be the story that’s holding things back. We understand the need to engage a learner’s mind in the content, but when you engage a learner’s emotions in a situation the transfer from learning to performance increases. Adding emotion to the learning adds another engagement to the experience. Stories can play a role in increasing the emotional connection with the learners and create a more engaging experience.
In this session you will explore the importance of story in a game or simulation. You will learn to create an empathy map that you can use to understand the environment and attributes of the learners, enabling you to create engaging game situations and characters. You will explore examples that will give you an understanding of how to use a story wrapped around your learning content.
In this session, you will learn:
- Why creating a learning story is important when creating an engaging game or simulation
- How learning stories are different from other forms of storytelling or writing
- The different structures and elements of a learning story
- Why creating situations and characters that the learners can identify with increases engagement
- How to create a simple story template
Novice designers and developers.
discussed in this session:
Storyline, Articulate Suite, and Camtasia.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer for Learning Platforms and Universal
Hamilton, NY, USA
- Distance Education Program Manager
Albany, New York, USA
- Learning Designers/Developers/Project Managers
- Sr. e-Learning Developer
- Technical Training and Development Specialist
Bedford, MA, USA