- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
iMOOCs: An Interactive Approach to Large-scale Collaborative Learning
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2016 - March 16, 2016
Practising Law Institute
Massive open online courses (MOOCs) have received a fair amount of publicity, but mixed reviews overall. Participants appreciate the collaborative nature of MOOCs, and their accessibility—but much of the learning is passive in style, which tends to be fairly ineffective, transfers poorly to on-the-job skill application, and doesn’t maintain participants’ interest. Today’s typical MOOC format is therefore not particularly well-suited for most corporate training needs. Companies are, nonetheless, interested in capturing the positive qualities of MOOCs.
In this session, you will see samples from iMOOCs with courses that include some standard MOOC components but incorporate engaging interactions throughout the course. You will learn about activities in which participants must decide the best approach to a situation and about complex video scenes that participants must evaluate and discuss. This session includes demonstrations of actual course components, so you will gain a deep understanding of the techniques and how you can apply them to your own needs.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to design interactive exercises that promote skill transfer to the job
- How video of real-life situations can be used in conjunction with lecture video and online discussions
- How online learning-by-doing approaches can engage participants and result in skill transfer
- Ways to bring together some of the best elements of instructor-led and self-paced courses together into a single learner experience
Novice to advanced designers, project managers, managers, and directors.
discussed in this session:
Major browsers in Windows and Mac, tablets and phones using iOS and Android, .mp4, and HTML5 code.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Design Coordinator
Oak Brook, IL
- eLearning Developer
Albany, New York, USA
- Instructional Designer - Global Sales Development
Costa Mesa, CA or remote
- Instructional Designer / Digital Product Development
- Instructional Designer (Epic)