- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Using the xAPI to Collect Learning Data from Simulations
DevLearn 2016 Conference & Expo - November 17, 2016
Director of Technology
Senior Director, Simulation, eLearning & Innovation
American College of Chest Physicians
You know that taking online courses isn’t the only way to learn. You want to invent new learning formats and experiences that better meet your audience’s needs. However, in many cases you need to include tracking, and the types of learning trackable by traditional learning management systems are limited. The Experience API (xAPI) specification is flexible enough to track a wide range of learning experiences, but it’s a new technology, and barriers to adoption still exist. How do you bridge this gap?
In this case study session, you’ll learn how the American College of Chest Physicians (known as CHEST) used the xAPI and a learning record store to collect learning data from its medical simulations and share the data with its LMS. CHEST’s experience of broadening what training can be tracked will give you a road map to adoption within your own organization. You’ll find out about the technical details, best practices, and lessons learned from CHEST’s experience with the xAPI, which will help you unlock the technology’s potential and deliver more innovative learning experiences.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the opportunities the xAPI creates for education providers
- About the advantages and disadvantages of the xAPI compared to earlier technologies like SCORM
- How to decide what you want to track, and how to translate those objectives into xAPI activity statements
- Best practices for building your API
- Which factors to consider when choosing a learning record store (LRS)
Intermediate and advanced developers, directors, and senior leaders (VP, CLO, executive, etc.).
discussed in this session:
The Experience API (xAPI), REST, CourseStage Health LMS, Moodle LMS, ADL LRS, LearningLocker LRS, Laerdal Airway Management Trainer.
Click here for the session trailer
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Training Assistant (LMS)
New York, NY, USA
- E-learning Instructional Designer/LMS Specialist wanted
- Training Development Specialist
- Training Developer (Instructional Designer)
Los Angeles, CA/USA
- Distance Education Program Manager