- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Using Immersive Simulations to Develop Real-world Skills
DevLearn 2016 Conference & Expo - November 18, 2016
Learning Technologies Manager
Scottish Social Services Council
Simulations can provide learners with safe environments in which to learn how to use new skills through practice and failure. When done well, they give people the opportunity to get things wrong and learn from that experience in a way that has little to no risk involved. They can also be deeply immersive, replicating the actual experience of doing something in a realistic and engaging way. Because of this, they can be incredibly effective tools for learning. But how do you create simulations on your own, particularly if you’re on a tight budget?
In this session, you’ll explore both the learning theory and practical application that you’ll need to start designing simulations that build workplace skills. You’ll learn how to apply game design techniques and architectures to learning, as well as how they can contribute to your learning goals. You’ll also discuss examples of real simulations that are used in the workplace now and look at ideas of where simulations may go in the future to increase their effectiveness.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to design immersive and engaging simulations
- How applying aspects of game design can make your simulations more effective
- About low-cost technologies that are available to help you create simulations yourself
- How to address the challenges of delivering simulations on mobile devices
- How to design simulations for an audience that has limited time available for learning
Novice and intermediate designers and developers.
discussed in this session:
Browser-based simulations, Unity 3D, augmented reality, virtual reality, Oculus Rift, and Microsoft HoloLens.
Click here for the session trailer
You do not have access to this video. Please log in or join to view this video.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- eLearning Instructional Designer
- Content Writer
- Learning & Performance Analyst
Oklahoma City, OK
- Learning Experience Manager, Technology & Operations
Foster City, CA
- Technical Training Specialist
Reading, PA (Can be any Company location in N. America)