- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
The Path from Instructional Design to Learning Experience Design
Learning Solutions Conference & Expo 2017 - March 22, 2017
Director, Talent Development Consulting
Instructional design focuses on only a small portion of the learning process—instruction. Much learning also happens through experience, supported by social feedback, content, and some formal instruction (70:20:10 sums it up). This broader approach that looks at the entire learning process goes by a different name: learning experience design (LXD). And while instructional design isn’t dead as a concept, it is finding itself being subsumed by LXD, allowing for a deeper perspective on how designers can provide the experiences that people need to develop job skills.
In this session, you’ll find out more about the guideposts on the path to becoming a learning experience designer. You’ll visit the key disciplines that inform LXD, including design thinking, user experience design, and cognitive science. You’ll also explore how to use technology, especially mobile and xAPI, to support and track learning experiences. Finally, you’ll walk through a simple process for designing learning experiences that produce measurable results.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the key steps in becoming a learning experience designer
- How to apply design thinking, user experience design, and cognitive science principles to the design of learning experiences
- A six-step process for learning experience design
Novice to advanced designers, managers, directors, and senior leaders (VP, CLO, executive, etc.).
discussed in this session:
General application of xAPI and mobile devices.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Desginer - II
Los Angeles, California
- Sr. Learning Technology Liaison - Travelers Insurance
- TECHNOLOGY ENABLED LEARNING PROJECT SPECIALIST
- Learning Technology Support
- Instructional Designer/Learning Program Manager