- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
The Documentary Film as a Teaching Tool
DevLearn 2017 Conference & Expo - October 27, 2017
Senior Learning Officer
de Beaumont Foundation
Hands-on exercises and scenario-based training are effective, but they can’t always do the whole job. Storytelling with documentaries can engage learners and give them the context they need in topic areas like policy, leadership approaches, and organizational history.
In this session, you will learn how to find and develop documentary content and how to use it effectively in your courses. You’ll learn about rights and permissions and see examples of how carefully chosen documentary pieces can give your courses greater flexibility, an easier “sell” to learners, and higher retention of content. You'll examine sample lesson plans showing how instructors can use documentary materials from PBS and the New York Times Learning Network, and you'll explore the challenges and benefits of developing materials in-house using the de Beaumont Foundation’s Public Health and Politics course as an example.
In this session, you will learn:
- When to use and when not to use documentary video in your courses
- What you need to know about rights and permissions related to using existing AV materials in your courses
- How you can use lesson plans and discussion questions with documentary clips in your courses
- Where to look for videos you can use in your courses
- The basics of developing your own documentary-style videos
Intermediate designers and developers.
Technology discussed in this session:
Vimeo, YouTube, Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate, and video editing software like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker, Final Cut, Sony/Magix Vegas, and Adobe Premiere.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
- Learning Experience Designer
- Learning Manager E-Learning - East Coast US
East Coast, USA
- Medical Billing Trainer
Fort Washington, PA
- Part-Time Instructional Designer/eLearning Developer
Boston, MA, USA