- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
When eLearning Isn’t the Answer: An Alaska Airlines Case Study
DevLearn 2017 Conference & Expo - October 25, 2017
Supervisor, Instructional Design
Training Compliance Manager
The airline industry is highly regulated. As a result, Alaska Airlines’ employees were tasked with completing numerous hours of training each year. With limited resources and time, they needed an innovative method to make this annual training feel fresh to their audience. For the first time in years, they decided that eLearning might not be the answer to the age-old problem of how to make a learning experience truly memorable. Their alternative: comics!
In this session, you’ll learn how Alaska Airlines turned a 45-minute eLearning course into a series of informational comics, transforming a training course into a learning experience. You’ll discover how the team obtained stakeholder buy-in for moving to the comics medium and how they continue to ensure regulatory compliance despite taking a nonstandard approach. You’ll then learn more about the tools and techniques you can use to write and create your own comics. Finally, you’ll find out how to coordinate a large-scale distribution of training materials like comics, and you’ll get tips for communicating instructional change across a large organization.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to teach compliance training without your audience realizing they’re in training
- About tools you can use to create comics-style graphics to engage your audience
- How to work with stakeholders on approving a new way to deliver compliance or regulatory training
- How to share comic-based learning content with people in remote cities and even countries without delivering eLearning
Novice to intermediate designers, developers, and managers.
discussed in this session:
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- National Learning Specialist - Instructional Design
King of Prussia, PA
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Instructional Designer
- Content Writer
- Learning & Performance Analyst
Oklahoma City, OK