- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Lessons from Hollywood: Creating Better Workplace Videos
DevLearn 2017 Conference & Expo - October 25, 2017
Senior Project Leader
The Aerospace Corporation
L&D is increasingly using video to address workplace needs, but where should you turn to learn how to make these videos engaging and effective? Hollywood, of course! For more than 100 years, the film industry has mastered the art of engagement, with good films keeping audiences riveted for hours. While not every workplace video needs to be a major production, there are many simple lessons from Hollywood that you can apply in your work to make better videos.
In this session, you’ll learn to apply practical techniques used in film production to increase engagement in your own workplace videos. You’ll explore the nature of the video format itself and discuss how to best take advantage of it, while also avoiding several common video mistakes. You’ll then learn specific techniques for working with employee-actors and get tips on adding interest to even the most mundane subjects. You may or may not be the next Steven Spielberg, but you will leave this session ready to make better, more interesting videos for your workplace.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to create an engaging video script using a proven format
- What the characteristics of a well-written video script are
- How to recognize and correct common video mistakes, including ones that limit the useful life of your videos
- How to plan for and work with employee-actors
- How to develop and use interesting characters that substantially increase viewer interest
Novice to intermediate designers, developers, and managers.
discussed in this session:
Video editors and mobile devices for video playback.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
- SuccessFactors LMS Administrator.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- Project Manager
- Instructional Designer/Developer
Remote (or Chapel Hill, NC)
- Senior Software Engineer - Node - eLearning company