- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Copyright, Free Media, and Why Creative Commons Is Your Best Disruption
DevLearn 2017 Conference & Expo - October 26, 2017
Copyright Educator and Author
Santa Fe Community College
The cost of copyright confusion can affect every stage of the development and delivery process. How much does fear or avoidance inform your decision-making when it comes to finding and using online media? Have you missed out on using fabulous free resources because you weren’t (or your organization wasn’t) sure whether you had the rights to use them? Have you seen others accidentally infringe on someone else’s work because of a misunderstanding about fair use? Copyright can seem like a daunting or boring topic to learn—but it doesn’t have to be.
In this session, you’ll learn about copyright essentials through an entertaining and easy-to-understand snapshot of the law. You’ll discover how to find and use free media properly; how to protect your own work; and how to apply legal concepts, such as the fair use doctrine, to everyday scenarios. You’ll also learn more about where to find free multimedia you can safely use in your projects thanks to public domain, Creative Commons, and open access–licensed works. This session will help you gain an understanding of how you can and can’t legally use media in your work, and will enable you to become more productive and focused as you maximize your financial and creative resources.
In this session, you will learn:
- About copyright law and fair-use basics
- How to find and use free online media properly
- About Creative Commons licenses and which are most accommodating
- How to correctly and easily attribute media you use
- How to protect your work and avoid being sued
Novice to advanced designers, developers, and managers.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Sr. Learning Technology Liaison - Travelers Insurance
- TECHNOLOGY ENABLED LEARNING PROJECT SPECIALIST
- Learning Technology Support
- Instructional Designer/Learning Program Manager
- LMS Content Administration Specialist
Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA