- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
A Deep Dive on Implementing xAPI in Learning Games
DevLearn 2018 Conference & Expo - October 24, 2018
Dig-It! Games had a maintenance headache with a dated Cold Fusion data collection system and some data reporting into various applications in the cloud. The data was siloed and lacked any form of normalization to make it interoperable for aggregation and analysis. It was time to change old practices for new, and after a requirements gathering exercise, the team decided to prototype with xAPI. Existing xAPI profiles provided a solid baseline of verbs and activity types, etc., but xAPI contextual data lacked any form of structure. Most industries have a common vocabulary and standards, but xAPI profiles do not address context.
In this session, you will learn:
- How the team planned and developed the GBLxAPI.org open-source project
- How they developed a global vocabulary catalog with over 450 permanent URIs for use with the extensions and over 2,000 additional URIs for US-only standards
- About their API for Unity to simplify xAPI use in games and simulations
- How their data is now visualized in a third-party BI tool with widgets, dashboards, and export options
- How it’s now easier to share meaningful data with researchers, which ultimately could increase the use of learning games in industries
Advanced designers, managers, and senior leaders (directors, VP, CLO, executive, etc.).
Technology discussed in this session:
Free Unity API for integrating xAPI into learning games and simulations developed using the Unity 3D game engine. Free Excel sheet for organizing and planning learning outcomes in learning games. Tools for reporting xAPI data, including use of AI bots.
You do not have access to these files. Please log in or join with a free membership to download these files.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer for Learning Platforms and Universal
Hamilton, NY, USA
- Distance Education Program Manager
Albany, New York, USA
- Learning Designers/Developers/Project Managers
- Sr. e-Learning Developer
- Technical Training and Development Specialist
Bedford, MA, USA