512 Case Study: Workflow Learning at Sunrun
1:15 PM - 2:15 PM Thursday, October 25
It’s a request you may have received from company leaders: “Create training that doesn’t take employees away from the work they are paid to do.” At first, this might seem as if the eLearning and instructor-led classes you’ve developed aren’t valued. But wait. You know that many valuable learning experiences are rooted in performing actual tasks. Could it be that this request is actually steering you toward better solutions?
In this session, you will learn how operations training at Sunrun is transitioning from offering solely traditional learning solutions—ILT, webinars, and eLearning—to offering solutions that fit within an employee’s day-to-day work. It’s a transition made possible by technology. As such, you’ll see how Sunrun has replaced lengthy instructor-led classes with a combination of eLearning and structured job shadows tracked by mobile applications. You’ll explore the electronic performance support resources now available to Sunrun field personnel, as well as how eLearning and microlearning video fill the gaps to keep employees where they learn best—in the flow of work.
In this session, you will learn:
- How the largest residential solar company in the US has replaced traditional ILT with eLearning and more meaningful structured job shadows tracked by mobile applications
- How Sunrun converted traditional eLearning content into electronic performance support resources accessible from the field
- How eLearning and microlearning video can fill performance gaps and allow field-based employees to learn on the job
- About the “workflow learning” approach Sunrun instructional designers take when conducting a needs analysis
- About the significant challenges Sunrun has faced as it shifts from traditional learning solutions to workflow learning
Designers, developers, managers, and senior leaders (directors, VP, CLO, executive, etc.)
Technology discussed in this session:
Mobile applications linked to the LMS that track a person’s performance in a job shadow, electronic performance support, and eLearning microlearning video.
Senior Instructional Designer
Daniel Brigham is a senior instructional designer at Sunrun, the largest US residential solar provider. At Sunrun, he designs and develops large-scale learning solutions for the operations group. He has a deep interest in providing workers with high-quality, scalable training, an interest that suits his skills in videography and workflow learning. An eLearning veteran with 15 years’ experience, Daniel is a Kirkpatrick-certified learning professional, as well as an Articulate Super Hero.
Senior Instructional Designer
Travis Merrifield is a senior instructional designer with Sunrun, the largest residential rooftop solar company in the US. With over 13 years of curriculum development experience, Travis has worked in a variety of industries including insurance, education, banking, and construction to create online learning, instructor-led training, and performance support tools. Currently, his focus is on designing solar installation training and new product support for field install crews at Sunrun.