SMNX205 The Rise of Video in Higher Education and Corporate Training
2:15 PM - 3:00 PM Thursday, October 24
Expo Hall: Management Xchange Stage
Since the advent of YouTube, video has shot to prominence as a medium of knowledge transfer and training. Video has become an invaluable resource for teaching, professional development, formal instruction, and any kind of knowledge transfer. The rise in the use of video content brings along questions and challenges that we'll explore:
- Does academic research validate pedagogic effectiveness of knowledge transfer through video content?
- What are the pros and the cons of video learning?
- What are the best practices of using video learning in higher education and corporate training?
- What are the key ingredients of a good learning video and online training course?
- What can training professionals learn from the informal learning ecosystem on YouTube, Udemy, etc.?
In this interactive session we will provide answers. We will investigate the advantages and challenges of using video content in education and training, and explore different types of video and how they work. We’ll explain the key elements of good educational video content and give hands-on, practical advice on what is needed to start creating your own videos. We will explore the key impediments in formal institutions to producing effective video for learning, and how to overcome them with innovative tools. Best practice examples and case studies will show the audience how videos can be effectively used in higher education and in the business world.
In this session, you will learn:
- How the use of video can help you achieve your educational and training goals
- The effectiveness of video-based learning versus more traditional training approaches
- The key ingredients to building good learning videos and online training courses
- The ideal workflow for building great educational video content
- How to maximize your education and training budget by effectively using video content
- The different video tools you need depending on the content you need to create
Managers, senior leaders (directors, VP, CLO, executive, etc.)
Digital Learning Technologist
Saïd Business School, University of Oxford
Dominik Lukes is a digital education and technology specialist at the Saïd Business School, the highly ranked business school of the University of Oxford. He is the author of two MOOCs in two languages, and has produced countless videos. Dominik has worked as an educator in over 15 countries across four continents, and has been involved in the production of educational video content since the late 1990s. He is an open education practitioner with 25+ years of experience in pedagogical innovation, cross-cultural communication and training, language education, teacher trainer, curriculum development and international education. He has also worked in the field of dyslexia and has promoted inclusive reading technologies.