SMM106 Knowing Your Business: Using Context to Improve Success
3:00 PM - 3:45 PM Tuesday, March 27
You want a seat at the table, but you have a difficult time engaging with the right stakeholders. You want your team to be recognized as performance consultants, but do you understand how the business operates?
The challenge of earning a seat at the table has plagued the learning profession for years. Culture, engagement, and business impact are themes we are all familiar with. But do we really know what this means, or do we focus too much on the method of delivery? Do we let our process get in the way of results? In this session, we will discuss how to improve business acumen and learn to ask the right questions in the right context to get to the root of addressing business problems in your organization.
In this session, you will learn:
- Practical applications of networking, networking tools, and research to gather data on your audience
- How to ask effective questions to get to the root of the business issues your internal customers need to address, and why these questions are important
- How to apply information so that your solution is delivered in the context of what is important to your customers
- How to work with your partners in the business in the context of their needs
- How to limit preconceived notions
Novice to advanced designers, managers, directors, and senior leaders (VP, CLO, executive, etc.).
Technology discussed in this session:
LinkedIn, your company’s website, public information, podcasts.
Mike Simmons is a co-founder and COO of Catalyst Sale. He has more than 22 years of experience in operations, consulting, sales, and sales leadership, with 17 in the EdTech space. A lifelong learner, Mike is creative, analytical, and driven to achieve results; he has built, led, and optimized sales organizations leveraging both direct and indirect teams. He graduated from Arizona State University, class of 1997, with a BA in psychology.