609 Business Storytelling: Creating Persuasive Visual Narratives
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM Wednesday, March 27
The best communicators frame their ideas in a story. Unfortunately, as effective as storytelling is, it remains one of the greatest struggles in the business world. L&D professionals often “firehose” their audience with data and fail to communicate strategic insights. The result? You lose your audience to boredom, confusion, and misinterpretation. And worse, you’ve lost your chance to provide value and connect with your audience. But weaving tales alone isn’t enough to spur your customer, prospect, or manager to take action. It’s the arc of story combined with powerful data and visuals that infuse the right balance of logic and emotion to generate decision-making.
Through practical exercises, this session arms you with techniques for creating authentic, impactful business stories that elevate the conversation and motivate your audience to act. You’ll learn how to use a simple framework for crafting a narrative; how to identify and infuse your “big idea”—the key takeaway of your presentation; and how to bring your ideas to life visually using easy design strategies.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to craft a compelling business story by understanding the four classic signposts of storytelling
- How to identify and infuse a “big idea” into your story: the one thing you want your audience to know or do with the information
- How you can apply the power of storytelling to everyday communications
- How to apply tools and a framework that will allow you to put a story together quickly, before ever opening PowerPoint
- How to use eye-catching visual techniques that will help illustrate the story you are telling with your facts and data
Developers, managers, senior leaders (directors, VP, CLO, executive, etc.), and all others
Technology discussed in this session:
Director of Global Training Development & Delivery
The Presentation Company
Kevin Campbell is the director of global training development and delivery for The Presentation Company, a business communications firm that specializes in innovative online and onsite presentation skills training. Kevin’s career includes over 15 years’ experience in employee training and development, marketing, business communications, and management. He has held positions as a Nike Global Trainer, facilitating workshops for employees throughout North and South America. Kevin also spent 10 years in the entertainment industry, where he crafted stories as a host for networks such as National Geographic, AMC, and A&E. Kevin has also spent time behind the camera, developing pilots for Bravo and Comedy Central.