- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Multimedia Learning Research: Foundations for Evidence-based ISD
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2013 - February 21, 2013
Clark Training & Consulting
Research on multimedia learning has progressed over the past 20 years, providing practitioners a number of evidence-based guidelines for the design and development of effective digital learning environments. Unfortunately, there is little communication between the research and practitioner communities, making it challenging for practitioners to identify and apply evidence-based principles.
Participants in this session will take a tour of four major themes that characterize multimedia learning research over the past 20 years. These themes are: 1) Media comparison research. For example, is multimedia instruction more effective than classroom instruction? 2) Multimedia principles based on cognitive-load theory. For example, how to use modes and methods that best manage cognitive load. 3) Research on accommodating individual differences in asynchronous multimedia learning environments. For example, which individual differences are important and which are not? 4) Recent evidence on unique applications of eLearning such as scenario-based learning and games. For each theme, you’ll see representative experiments and gain “take home” guidelines.
In this session you will learn:
- How learning outcomes in a multimedia environment compare to learning outcomes in a classroom environment
- A framework for applying instructional methods designed to manage cognitive load during learning
- How to accommodate individual differences in multimedia learning environments
- The features and benefits of scenario-based multimedia learning and games
- Four general evidence-based guidelines you can apply to your work
You do not have access to the handouts. Please log in or join to download these files.
You do not have access to the recording. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- National Learning Specialist - Instructional Design
King of Prussia, PA
- Instructional Designer
- eLearning Instructional Designer
- Content Writer
- Learning & Performance Analyst
Oklahoma City, OK