- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2013 - August 15, 2013
Director of Learning
The Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) is here, but it’s not new by any stretch. Open-source, open-content learning has been around for over a decade. Like many “overnight” sensations, though, MOOCs required the intersection of a few key players and technologies to emerge in our popular culture. MOOCs needed the entrepreneurial spirit and ingenuity of today’s web developers to gain a place on the world’s stage. The MOOC is a form of classroom experience that, backed by some of the world’s most prestigious universities, is now spreading like wildfire. One MOOC provider alone topped a million learners in 2012! The real advantages of MOOCs are that they can deliver learning across wide user bases and geographies, can be inexpensive to develop, and can provide a unique learning experience. But MOOCs have many challenges, and you need to develop a plan and make decisions that make sense for your learners.
Participants in this session will start by taking a fun look at the history of MOOCs. You’ll then explore why this format is so effective, and how it intersects conceptually with adult-learning principles. You’ll also dissect the MOOC and look at avoiding some pitfalls in your development process.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to define where MOOCs fit into your learning strategy
- How to determine if your learners need a MOOC
- The components of a good MOOC
- How to find the right balance of pieces
- Ways to maximize the value of your program to your learners and your organization
You do not have access to the handouts. Please log in or join to download these files.
You do not have access to the recording. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Desginer - II
Los Angeles, California
- Sr. Learning Technology Liaison - Travelers Insurance
- TECHNOLOGY ENABLED LEARNING PROJECT SPECIALIST
- Learning Technology Support
- Instructional Designer/Learning Program Manager