- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Immersive New Employee Orientation Builds Pride, Shortens Ramp-Up
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2014 - September 19, 2014
Sr. Director, Learning & Leadership Development
The E.W. Scripps Company
New-hire orientation, or onboarding, is much more than an employee’s path from “green,” or new, to productive. Seen from an employee’s viewpoint, the experiences of that first day, week, or month on the job will either validate their choice to work for a company or plant a seed of terrible doubt. As a far-flung media company, Scripps was particularly challenged to create a new-employee onboarding (NEO) experience that could speak to employees in all roles, at all properties, and in all businesses (newspapers, broadcast television, digital, and corporate). mLearning technology proved to be part of the answer.
Participants in this case-study session will learn how, as part of onboarding, employees download the “@Scripps” mobile app that reminds them of onboarding events and engages them in Scripps history and trivia. This session will help you to brainstorm about your own organization’s approach to new orientation and what onboarding tasks and topics mLearning might supplement within your culture.
In this session, you will learn:
- How mLearning can complement a new-employee onboarding program
- How to begin thinking about a standard process to welcome new employees to the company and share common information
- How new-employee onboarding programs shorten time to productivity
- How to stage onboarding activities in phases to complement and coincide with regular job duties
Intermediate managers, directors, VPs, and learning professionals with an understanding of instructional design and adult learning theory, social-media basics, training evaluation, and business impact.
You do not have access to the handouts. Please log in or join to download these files.
You do not have access to the recording. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Design Coordinator
Oak Brook, IL
- eLearning Developer
Albany, New York, USA
- Instructional Designer - Global Sales Development
Costa Mesa, CA or remote
- Instructional Designer / Digital Product Development
- Instructional Designer (Epic)