- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Don’t Let Bad Design Happen to Good Training
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2014 - November 13, 2014
Associate Creative Director
Laura Wall Klieves
Vice President, Duarte Academy & Marketing
Because instructional designers, L&D practitioners, and HR professionals are not trained storytellers or graphic designers, bad design can happen to good training—and when bad design happens your learners suffer. Communications firm Duarte applies its unique VisualStory™ methodology to its own workshop curriculum—with success—and shows you how to do it for your own instructional design. Anyone can apply the principles outlined in Nancy Duarte’s three award-winning, best-selling books: Slide:ology, Resonate, and the Harvard Business Review Guide to Persuasive Presentations, to positively impact the learner’s ability to understand, internalize, and apply the knowledge learned in any training.
Participants in this session will learn straightforward and readily applicable methodologies to improve course design for greater learner retention and application and positive long-term behavior change from presentation communication. You’ll discover how improved content and visual design of workshops and eCourses will increase demand for the curriculum, thus increasing the ROI on curriculum development.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to improve learner retention and application by applying VisualStory™ principles to curriculum
- How to drive positive, long-term behavior change through presentation communication
- How to analyze your audience and understand how better to connect your curriculum to the learner
- How to analyze visual design, and reorganize components to better communicate visually
- A common critique language, which will allow you to effectively partner with designers to create compelling curriculum
Intermediate and advanced designers, developers, project managers, managers, directors, VPs, and CLOs. Ideally, before this session, attendees should review Nancy Duarte’s TED Talk, the Duarte blog, interviews with Nancy and articles about the methodology, and Nancy’s Harvard Business Review posts.
You do not have access to the handouts. Please log in or join to download these files.
You do not have access to the recording. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- eLearning Instructional Designer
- Content Writer
- Learning & Performance Analyst
Oklahoma City, OK
- Learning Experience Manager, Technology & Operations
Foster City, CA
- Technical Training Specialist
Reading, PA (Can be any Company location in N. America)