- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Embedding Multimedia as an Interactivity Tool in the Online Environment
Online Events Archive
Online Forums 2015 - February 25, 2015
Virtual classrooms have issues with low interactivity and high attrition rates. A detached online learning environment with a text-based format and lower attention-getting devices leads to high dropout rates. 21st century learners require higher levels of dual encoding (text and multimedia) to keep them engaged in the learning process. Embedding multimedia in the classroom improves learner retention and course completion rates because multimedia provides for a higher level of interactivity at three levels: student-student, student-teacher, and student-content.
In this session, you will see how Voki, PowToon, and similar multimedia applications enlivened the learning environment for Psychology 202 students at Ashford University. You’ll learn both the theory and practice on how easy it is to add multimedia to your lectures, announcements, and emails in the virtual classroom, and how much of a difference multimedia makes when forming a dynamic classroom for 21st century learners.
In this session, you will learn:
- How to energize your virtual classroom with multimedia embedded in the content
- How to form five different types of multimedia as teaching and learning tools
- How to create dynamic announcements, lectures, and guidances using multimedia
- How to increase the retention and completion rates for online learning courses
- How to apply research-proven practices with multimedia in the virtual classroom to motivate 21st century learners
Intermediate designers, developers, project managers, managers, directors, and other instructors who have a basic knowledge of multimedia and online learning environments.
Handouts are available for eLearning members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for eLearning members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Coordinator Instructional Design (Team Lead)
- Instructional Designer - Johns Hopkins School of Nursing
- Instructional Designer
Fort Washington, PA
- Instructional Coordinator
New Britain, CT
- Training Evaluation Specialist