- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
- Product Directory
- Supplier Directory
Exploring Budget-Friendly Options for Instructional Game Design
Online Events Archive
Building Games on a Shoestring Spotlight 2017 - October 4, 2017
Professor of Instructional Technology and Director of the Institute for Interactive Technologies
You’ve decided you want to create a learning game, but you don’t have a million-dollar game development budget. What are your options? What types of software are available to help with both digital and non-digital game development? Can games be produced inexpensively and still be effective? If you have these types of questions, this session will give you answers.
In this session, you’ll explore the wide range of budget-friendly game development options, from the creation of sophisticated 3-D games using inexpensive or free software and assets to the simple solution of creating a card deck with easy-to-use templates and tools that won’t break the bank. You’ll discuss the trade-off between template tools’ ease of use vs. the flexibility of more complex software. You’ll also take a look at the resources available to help you learn to use common authoring tools to create game elements.
In this session, you will learn:
- About inexpensive or free game development software and assets, and where to find them
- How to leverage these authoring tools to create learning games
- About the trade-offs between software flexibility and ease of use with game development tools
- How to use inexpensive resources to create non-digital games
You do not have access to the handouts. Please log in or join to download these files.
You do not have access to the recording. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
San Luis Obispo, CA
- Training Specialist
San Luis Obispo, CA
- Instructional Desginer - II
Los Angeles, California
- Sr. Learning Technology Liaison - Travelers Insurance
- TECHNOLOGY ENABLED LEARNING PROJECT SPECIALIST