- Learning Solutions
- Research Library
- Guild Publications
- Sponsored Library
- Online Events Archive
- Conference Archive
- DemoFest Archive
Overcome the Closed Captioning Hurdle: Uses, Best Practices, and a Free DIY Tool
Online Events Archive
Accessibility in Practice Spotlight 2018 - October 3, 2018
President & CEO
If you work in government, higher education, or K-12 school systems, you’re expected to create eLearning that adheres to section 508 accessibility requirements. Unfortunately accessibility is often an afterthought, especially in the private sector, which can create a tedious and time-consuming workflow when accessibility features are desired later.
In this session, you'll learn about an easy way to create more accessible eLearning: closed captioning. No, providing a transcript does not meet section 508 requirements. Captions must be in sync with the audio in your project so that people with auditory disabilities can have a full learning experience. But creating these captions doesn't have to be expensive or involve time-intensive copying and pasting of individual lines. This session will help you find out more about closed captioning best practices and also investigate how to create faster, inexpensive closed captions using YouTube's automatic captioning service. You'll discover how you can use this tool to edit subtitle text, adjust timings, and even download files that can be imported into SCORM authoring tools.
In this session, you will learn:
- About the changing population demographics that will impact eLearning
- About the uses for closed captioning
- About the best practices to consider when developing closed captioning
- How to use YouTube's automatic captioning to create a downloadable SBV file
- How to edit the text and adjust the timing of your subtitles
- About other tools to support your closed captioning workflow
Handouts are available for The eLearning Guild members. Please log in or join to download these files.
This recording is available for The eLearning Guild members. Please log in or join to download this file.
Back to Library
Recent Job Postings
- Instructional Designer
- SuccessFactors LMS Administrator.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- Project Manager
- Instructional Designer/Developer
Remote (or Chapel Hill, NC)
- Senior Software Engineer - Node - eLearning company