205 Multiplayer VR Escape Room: Design and Development of Shared Experiences
12:45 PM - 1:45 PM Tuesday, June 25
While virtual reality has been rapidly growing as an innovative method to deliver immersive and engaging training, current implementations are commonly isolated and singular experiences. As VR evolves to be more cost-friendly and the release of tetherless headsets (e.g., Oculus Quest) makes it more mobile, there is real potential now for VR training to also be leveraged for multi-user, shared experiences while still keeping engagement levels high.
In this session, you'll learn about the benefits of shared experiences in virtual reality and the approaches you can use to create them. First, explore the "why" by looking at various scenarios on how shared VR experiences can be used and the benefits these solutions bring. Then, discover the "how" by learning about what it takes to create a multiplayer VR solution. You’ll find out how to bring one of the most popular teambuilding exercises into the virtual world—an escape room—and then examine the three major building blocks in the creation of a multiplayer VR escape room: design considerations, the development process, and planning of ROI tracking.
In this session, you will learn:
- The benefits of implementing shared virtual reality experiences in training
- How multiplayer VR experiences can be cost-effective and achieve global reach
- Why a multiplayer virtual reality escape room can be used as an effective team-building training tool
- How to design a multiplayer VR escape room
- What design considerations need to be made when designing a shared VR experience
- What 3-D production and programming tools and considerations need to be made when creating a VR escape room
- What the 3-D production and development process looks like when creating a VR escape room
- How to build a tracking plan for ROI of a shared VR experience
Designers, developers, managers
Unity, Oculus Rift, Oculus Quest, Photon Unity Networking
President & Chief Creative Officer
Tipping Point Media
William Garner, the founder, president, and chief creative officer of Tipping Point Media, is an award-winning creative strategist, technical innovator, motivating tactician, and collaborator. He leads a team of digital artists, web engineers, medical writers, 3-D/VR simulation developers, gamification designers, and educators.
Senior Digital Project Manager
Tipping Point Media
Brittany Gilbert is a senior digital project manager at Tipping Point Media who specializes in virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, and gamification. She has shipped a multitude of award- winning interactive applications, including mobile gaming, interactive video, and VR/AR/MR training and marketing. With a background in game art and production, Brittany's hands-on technical experience allow her a unique, in-depth perspective of what is involved in building digital products from start to finish.